Help a leading €1-billion global charity chart its course for the next decade
As part of a 2-year process to update its global strategy, Oxfam‘s Strategy Development Team wanted its global community’s recommendations on key strategic priorities and options for the confederation.
Our brief was to design a 3-day gathering for 120 Oxfam staff and external stakeholders in Nairobi, Kenya, in September 2019.
The event had to be inclusive, participatory and accountable. It also had to make sense of complex inputs (including 5 global transformative scenarios developed by 1,500 staff worldwide) and suggest strategic priorities for the next 10 years.
We had to pack important conversations for a global and diverse crowd into just 3 days.
Working closely with the client’s global strategy team, we organised the ambitious event around 3 steps: “Immerse & understand”; “Imagine & propose”; and “Refine & agree”.
- The arc and format of the gathering
- Various programme elements to fully articulate complex thinking, heed critical voices and genuinely include 120 participants
- The setup of 17 sessions with their goal, detailed plan and outcomes
- The full decision-making process, including templates for working groups to record their proposals
- Detailed guidance for local facilitators to deliver these sessions
“I thoroughly enjoyed the energy that resonated from us all through the event.”
In the words of a Nigerian participant, the forum’s “method of engaging participants really encouraged fresh thinking and active conversations. […] Oxfam had planned the forum to listen to the views of opinion formers, both internally and externally; and I thoroughly enjoyed the energy that resonated from us all through the event.”